The headlines aren’t very uplifting, are they? They tell depressing stories about everything that’s wrong in this world. They accent the worst, keep us divided, and only give us half the story of what is truly happening.
Well, not today, my friend!
There’s lots of good news out there—and I am all about looking for the good. When you look for it, that’s what you see.
That’s why I love our 4:13 Podcast guest today, Bobby Lewis. He is an Emmy Award-winning TV reporter in the Tampa Bay area. And, sister, he has a knack for bringing out how God is working in our mess despite the ugly news’ headlines.
Bobby has written an inspiring book called, Finding Joy Beyond the Headlines. It provides a Scriptural framework and a hope-filled roadmap to navigate the bad news, whether it’s on your TV or in your life. You’ll be reminded that God is good, He is here, there is hope, and joy is possible.
So join KC and me as Bobby Lewis helps us see beyond the bad news and focus our eyes on hope. This episode is engaging, encouraging, and will give you the cure for the common headline!
4 “Joy Beyond the Headline” Stories
- Madison Harrison’s #POTUS. Nine-year-old Madison had a dream of taking a picture of the president. Even though many thought she’d never reach her goal, she did! Madison didn’t let her young age stop her from accomplishing big things.
- Ken Deka’s Daily Sunset Song. When the Vietnam War ended, Ken was one of the marines who came home. Many of his friends didn’t return, though. They died in service to their country. Now, in honor of the friends he lost, Ken plays TAPS on his bugle every evening. He’s become famous locally, but he’s not doing it for the fame. He’s doing it because of the deep love he has for his friends.
- Becky Gama’s Closet. During one of her shifts as a nurse, Becky found herself caring for a homeless patient. After hearing his story, she felt compelled to do something to help. So she began collecting donated clothing items for him. This encounter inspired her to continue to help more people and she created “Becky’s Closet.” Now, anyone, who comes into the hospital she works at and needs clothing, leaves with better clothes than they came in wearing.
- Davis Harkey’s Fifth Quarter. Davis was born prematurely at 28 weeks and struggles with a lot of physical challenges. But that hasn’t stopped Davis from playing middle school basketball. Not only was he put on his school’s team, but they even added a fifth quarter so that Davis would get a chance to play.
Headlines don’t take a day off, but neither does hope. So, remember, with the eyes of faith, you can see hope. With the Holy Spirit as your guide, you can find joy beyond every headline.
And, 4:13ers, let’s be that joy. Let’s be that hope. Let’s be the good news in a world who needs to feel it, hear it, and see it.
Remember, whatever headlines are on the news or in your life, you can do all things through Christ who gives you strength.
Books and Bible Studies (and Tea!) by Jennifer Rothschild
- 66 Ways God Loves You: Experience God’s Love for You in Every Book of the Bible
- Lessons I Learned in the Dark: Steps to Walking By Faith, Not Sight
- Fingerprints of God: Recognizing God’s Touch on Your Life Bible Study
- Mere ChristianiTea
More from Bobby Lewis
- Finding Joy Beyond the Headlines
- Visit Bobby’s website
- On the Road with Bobby Lewis
- Follow Bobby Lewis on Twitter
- Don’t miss an episode! Subscribe to the 4:13 Podcast here.
- Were you encouraged by this podcast? Reviews help the 4:13 Podcast reach more women with the “I can” message. Click here to leave a review on iTunes.
What’s good news have you heard recently? Share in the comments below.