What would you say if I told you the following statements were facts?
- Young, married women are more responsible than single gals.
- Older women tend to be fussy if they have never worked outside the home.
- Husky girls are more even-tempered than skinny ones.
- And, a girl has more confidence, and is more efficient, if she can keep her hair tidied and apply fresh lipstick during her work day.
Would you say I’ve lost my mind? Would you say I’ve lost my manners?! Would you think I’m out of touch, or politically incorrect ?
Or, would you say I’ve been influenced by an article written during World War II about women in the work place?!
Yep, believe it or not, those are supposed “facts” according to an article from a July 1943 issue of “Transportation Magazine.” I found this excerpt and laughed with every word I read. It was written for male supervisors of women in the work force during World War II.
[Click to Tweet]
Read the excerpt below:
Eleven Tips on Getting More Efficiency Out of Women Employees
There’s no longer any question whether transit companies should hire women for jobs formerly held by men. The draft and manpower shortage has settled that point. The important things now are to select the most efficient women available and how to use them to the best advantage.
Here are eleven helpful tips on the subject from Western Properties:
1. Pick young married women. They usually have more of a sense of responsibility than their unmarried sisters, they’re less likely to be flirtatious, they need the work or they wouldn’t be doing it, they still have the pep and interest to work hard and to deal with the public efficiently.
[Click to Tweet]
3. General experience indicates that “husky” girls – those who are just a little on the heavy side – are more even-tempered and efficient than their underweight sisters.
4. Retain a physician to give each woman you hire a special physical examination – one covering female conditions. This step not only protects the property against the possibilities of lawsuit, but reveals whether the employee-to-be has any female weaknesses which would make her mentally or physically unfit for the job.
5. Stress at the outset the importance of time; the fact that a minute or two lost here and there makes serious inroads on schedules. Until this point is gotten across, service is likely to be slowed up.
6. Give the female employee a definite day-long schedule of duties so that they’ll keep busy without bothering the management for instructions every few minutes. Numerous properties say that women make excellent workers when they have their jobs cut out for them, but that they lack initiative in finding work themselves.
7. Whenever possible, let the inside employee change from one job to another at some time during the day. Women are inclined to be less nervous and happier with change.
8. Give every girl an adequate number of rest periods during the day. You have to make some allowances for feminine psychology. A girl has more confidence and is more efficient if she can keep her hair tidied, apply fresh lipstick, and wash her hands several times a day.
9. Be tactful when issuing instructions or in making criticisms. Women are often sensitive; they can’t shrug off harsh words the way men do. Never ridicule a woman – it breaks her spirit and cuts off her efficiency.
10. Be reasonably considerate about using strong language around women. Even though a girl’s husband, or father, may swear vociferously, she’ll grow to dislike a place of business where she hears too much of this.
[Click to Tweet]
We’ve come a long way, baby, haven’t we?!
Today, we chuckle at those 11 tips that were written over fifty years ago! They reflected such a misunderstanding about women — our abilities, our capacities, and our value. But, when we feel misunderstood or devalued in real life, it isn’t funny at all. In fact, it is painful. So, if you feel like someone just doesn’t “get you” — doesn’t see your ability or capacity; if someone misunderstands who you are, or doesn’t have a clue how to really value you, here is the only tip you need — it’s Psalm 45:11.
“The King is enthralled by your beauty; honor Him for He is your Lord.”
Sister, God sees you, knows you, and values you. He loves you even if you don’t wear lipstick! Jesus values you because of who you are — His beautiful girl!
Question: Which of the items above do you find to be the most ridiculous?