What do you do when you suddenly find yourself on a battlefield in life?
Cancer shows up and tries to take you down. Or maybe it’s depression or betrayal or just life, in general, that’s beating you up.
Sister, you can fight back with the best weapon of all—joy!
On this episode of the 4:13 Podcast, Margaret Feinberg is back and, this time, she’s sharing part of her cancer story and giving you three practical ways to fight back with joy no matter what you face.
Margaret is a Bible teacher and speaker. You may have heard her at Fresh Grounded Faith, Catalyst, Women of Joy, or right here on episode 27. She’s also a great author, and today, she’s sharing from her book, Fight Back with Joy.
Margaret lives in Salt Lake City with her husband, Leif, and their super pup, Hershey. And, as KC says, you gotta love anyone who names their dog after chocolate! Am I right!?!
So, pull up a chair and join us! You’ll be challenged, inspired, and equipped to fight back with joy.
3 Practical Ways to Fight Back With Joy
- Poke holes in the darkness. Margaret says that one of the best ways to poke holes in the darkness you’re experiencing is through laughter. She shares that God has literally hardwired you for this. When you laugh, the chemicals in your brain and your body shift. As endorphins and melatonin are released, anxiety and depression lift away.
So, Margaret encourages you to go to YouTube or your favorite clean comedy source and watch funny videos. You can empower your body to respond with joy as you shift those brain chemicals through laughter.
- Worship when it makes no sense. Margaret talks about how there’s power in worship and giving God thanks. She acknowledges that sometimes it’s tough to do this. But in 1 Thessalonians 5:18, Scripture doesn’t tell us to give thanks for all things—it says to give thanks in all things. Margaret explains that as people of God, we don’t give thanks and celebrate the darkness in the world. But, in that darkness, we’re still able to remember the goodness and faithfulness of God.
Just like laughter changes your brain chemistry, singing does too. But that’s not all it does. It also helps you refocus from your problem to the solution Who is God. Through worship, you reengage and wrap your arms around the One who provides your salvation, your rescue, and your sustaining power.
- Don’t do this alone. Margaret says she believes the enemy has a heyday when you try to live your life in isolation. This happens when you tell yourself that you don’t need other people, or that you’re a burden. But, when you isolate yourself, being alone makes the hole of darkness feel even deeper and darker. It’s from being around other people that you begin to fight back with joy and find others who can help you do that.
If you’re physically able, Margaret challenges you to get out of the house. Call a friend and see a comedy together. Go to church, and be around other people. Hang out during the coffee hour and have conversations. If you can’t leave your house, then call someone and invite them over to watch a movie. The point is to invite others to come alongside you.
Friend, there’s so much in life that can feel bigger than you, but nothing is bigger than your God. And, nothing you’ll ever face will be greater than the power of God in you.
So, let’s fight back with joy. Whatever you’re dealing with, joy’s the weapon that’ll keep you strong because “the joy of the Lord is your strength” (Nehemiah 8:10).
And remember, wherever you are, however you feel, whatever you are dealing with, you can do all things—including fight back with joy—through Christ who gives you strength!
Books and Bible Studies by Jennifer Rothschild
- Lessons I Learned in the Dark: Steps to Walking By Faith, Not By Sight
- Lessons I Learned in the Dark: Steps to Walking By Faith, Not By Sight Audio Book
- Walking By Faith Bible Study
More from Margaret Feinberg
- Visit Margaret’s website
- Fight Back With Joy: Celebrate More. Regret Less. Stare Down Your Greatest Fears
- Fight Back With Joy DVD Bible Study Leader Kit
- Follow Margaret on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
*** You can hear from amazing women like Margaret at a Fresh Grounded Faith near you! Find an FGF in your area here.
Links Mentioned in This Episode
- Can I Embrace A New Season of Life With Purpose? [Episode 22 With Caroline Rothschild]
- Can I See Food as Blessing and Not a Burden? [Episode 27 With Margaret Feinberg]
- Can I Be the Right Kind of Strong? [Episode 79 With Mary Kassian]
- Don’t miss an episode! Subscribe to the 4:13 Podcast here.
- Were you encouraged by this podcast? Reviews help the 4:13 Podcast reach more women with the “I can” message. Click here to leave a review on iTunes.
When life is hard, how do you fight back with joy?